Thursday, January 20, 2005

Pho

Wow, what can I say? Where do I even begin? I just experienced one of the greatest culinary wonders of the world. Pho! Pronounced like “the” only with an “f” sound, like “fa”. It rhymes with "duh". This is one of the hardest foods to describe. It is a disservice to call it Vietnamese noodle soup, but that is what it is. It is noodles in beef or chicken stock. Simple right? Wrong. This food is like the crack of foods. One try and you will be addicted. The hard part is trying it. I went through this, trust me, it is not easy to muster the courage to eat soup with noodles in it and spend around $6 for it. My friends had been telling me about it for weeks. It is the best soup you will ever try. You have to try this soup. Let’s go get Pho. Why don’t you just try Pho? You can see now why I compared it to crack. The peer pressure was overwhelming. I am usually apt to try new things, so it was a wonder that it took me as long as it did to try this wonderful dish. I lost my Pho-ginity, as I like to call it, last night. I had the steak and brisket Pho. It is such a disservice to even say it like that. If you are ever with me, then I will happily take you to enjoy this experience, even if I have to drag you kicking and screaming. The broth, if you can call it that, is like liquid sex. Not kidding. It is like they sucked the soul out of a cow and mixed it into some water and added some herbs. This is not just eating noodle soup. The whole experience is a culinary and cultural experience. It is almost ritualistic if you will. This is the first time I have ever tried Vietnamese food and I love it. The sauces, the smells, and BROTH!!! I am going through withdrawals already and I have only tried it once. Trust me; this is the kind of food you will be going back for several times. If there was a Pho Nazi, I would be acting just like the characters in Seinfeld. Most notably, the part where Elaine has to sit down after first trying the soup; lets just say I was SO glad I was already sitting down. I have only had Pho at one restaurant, Pho Anh Dao (pretty sad when I can already pronounce this perfectly), but I have heard they are all over the valley. I will try them all soon. Wha, ha ha ha!!!!!! Well I got to go; I have to explain to my Playstation II that I have a new addiction.

If you want to learn more about Pho, here is some interesting reading material about the history of Pho. Pho, glorious, Pho! You cannot miss this masterpiece, I beg you, please try Pho.

- Dr. Worm

Features
Check This Out: Make It Big Please

No comments: